Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hissy Fit

A couple of years ago I planted strawberries in my front flower bed.

I had visions of the lovely vines taking over the area and blanketing my yard in their cute little scalloped leaves.  I dreamed of their dainty little white flowers in the spring, and the bounty of my "crop" in the summer.

And my dreams came true.

By mid-summer I had an impressive little batch of strawberries ripening in the sunshine of my front yard.

And then disaster struck in the form of a bunny.

I went out one morning to check on my little berries, only to discover that all of the perfectly ripe ones had been nibbled.

I was OUTRAGED!

How DARE that fluffy bunny come enjoy the ACTUAL fruits of my labor!

For several mornings afterward I'd creep out of bed in the early morning hours to see if I could catch the little thief in action.

I never saw a thing.

Until one day I snuck up to the window in time to see NOT a bunny, but a CAT eating my berries.

What in the world?

It was about 5am and everyone in my house was sleeping.  Also, the burglar alarm was set, so I couldn't run out the front door to chivvy him away.

Instead I just lightly banged on the glass of the window.

Nothing.

I banged a little louder. 

The cat just stared at me.  WHILE CHEWING.

So I did the only thing I could think of: I raised my arms all the way above my head, made my hands in the shape of claws, and HISSED really loudly at him.

That did it.  He high-tailed it out of there.

I held my Hissing Position until the cat was completely out of sight.

And that's when I noticed her.

A woman.  Out for a morning stroll.  She had completely stopped walking for a moment and just stared at me.

We made eye contact, and then I BOLTED away from the window.

It's been a couple of years since all of this went down, and I still see her walking sometimes and I always avert my eyes.

I wonder if she ever even saw the cat, or if she thinks I was doing that TO HER.

I bet she still walks REALLY QUICKLY past my house, don't you?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, the idea of the woman thinking you were doing that to her....HILARIOUS! I can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG girl, I can just see it! So freaking funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And me? Not at all surprised by this behavior. I'm going to start wearing a bag over my head when I'm out in public wit you. Kisses!!

    ReplyDelete