Wednesday, February 15, 2012

*That* Mom

Ok, we all know who That Mom is.  The one who is just trying too damn hard.  The one who shows up to carpool everyday wearing 6 tons of eye makeup and high heels.  Or maybe she's the one who buys every kid in class a monogrammed beach towel at the end of the school year.  She doesn't buy cookies from the store, oh no, she makes them from scratch and lovingly decorates each one better than any professional bakery could.

That Mom.  She comes in many forms.  You've met her, right?  You vacillate between pity for her (who is she trying to impress?) and your own feelings of inadequacy (why don't *I* try harder?). 

No one likes That Mom.  For all sorts of reasons.

Which is why I was HORRIFIED when Paige brought home her little sack of Valentines from school today.  Inside were 12 simple little store-bought Valentines, and one totally over-the-top trying-too-hard HANDMADE Valentine from That Mom.

one of these things is not like the others
OMG I'M THAT MOM. 

To say I am MORTIFIED is not enough.  I want to write a personal letter to each and every one of the other mothers and explain to them that I LOST MY MIND FOR ONLY A MINUTE, and that I am usually a complete jackass.  That it's a total miracle that I even REMEMBERED to BRING Valentines.  That "crafty" is barely even a word in my vocabulary!

You know, I think I blame Pinterest for this.  Pinterest turned me (briefly) into THAT MOM. 

10 comments:

  1. Eh...nothing wrong with raising the bar...next year watch how many emulate...funny how peer pressure follows us all the days of our lives.

    I was the mom who forgot to have the ten year old even get store cards. And, I was at work late the night before. My SEVEN YEAR OLD made 21 homemade valentines for her older sister to take in. Luckily, she is crafty; they looked great and her sister and I are grateful for her compassion. The seven year old, on the other hand, bought her "store" valentines over the weekend...she's a planner that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that mom! That mom reminds me it's ok to go the extra step! Well done mamma ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! You must read this post:
    http://www.peopleiwanttopunchinthethroat.com/2012/02/overachievers-are-at-it-again.html

    Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha, laughing so hard....Rita, you are awesome no matter what! I was TOTALLY IMPRESSED with those valentines, and never once thought, "OMG, Rita is an overachieving mom." I swear! I thought, "Wow, Rita is amazing!"

    But you are a very funny writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this proves you are the only GOOD mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What distinguishes THAT mom is that she's that way about EVERYTHING. I think it's nice to do something special every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I was "that mom" too. But, it's ok. The kids and I had fun making their Valentine's. Nothing wrong with being crafty, it's one of my favorite things.

    To offset my craftiness, I brought a bag of carrots and two tubs of dip to the party. :)

    -Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rita, I am so glad you posted this! I realized this morning that we were the only ones that brought homemade Valentine's in my son's class....except for the teacher. I, too, blame Pinterest. It pulled me in...but man do I feel like a jerk for being THAT MOM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rita -- when they finally approve the sitcom that you've written about your life, none of the laughter will be canned. You are HILARIOUS. ::dying laughing::

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valentine's Day is my day that I'm that mom. Seriously, everyone should get to be her on one day. On Halloween, my kids wear store bought costumes, on Christmas they don't have matching pajamas or any handmade gifts. (And the Christmas cookies probably came from a mix.) But on Valentine's Day, I bask in the glory.

    Bask with me.

    ReplyDelete